I don't know about you, but the majority of my time spent at home is spent in the kitchen. Whether it's cooking or cleaning or just hanging out, the kitchen is the center of most homes. Today I'm sharing some of my most helpful kitchen tips! I've picked these up from friends, the web, family and magazines. I've tried and use all of them and I hope you can find one or two that works for you!
- If you've ever shredded your sponge trying to get your cheese grater or garlic press clean, just keep a toothbrush under your sink-it works miracles!
- As a baker, sometimes measuring shortening is the toughest task. Not anymore!! If your using a recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of shortening, pull out your measuring cup (the one for liquids) and fill it with a half cup of water. Scoop out (or cut) your shortening and push it down into the water until the water measures 1 cup. Pour out the water and you've got 1/2 cup of shortening! Whatever amount of shortening the recipe calls for, you want your measuring cup to read 1 cup, so for 1/3 cup shortening start with 2/3 cups of water- for 1/4 cup shortening start with 3/4 cups of water and so on and so on!
- I use water and lemons to clean the stuck on food in my microwave, it works better than any store bought cleaner I've ever tried! Just cut up 2 lemons and put them in a (microwave safe!!!) bowl filled with water and microwave in high for 5 minutes (depending on how dirty your microwave is you may need to add a few minutes). Let the bowl stand for a few minutes and then remove it, being VERY careful because the bowl WILL be hot and the water will probably have boiled!! Then grab your kitchen sponge and wipe away the mess!
- Sometimes when you cook, the smell lingers. If you place a bowl of ammonia on your table overnight when you wake up in the morning the food smells are gone! I don't know how or why this works, but it does!
- If your aluminum pans have lost their shine, boil apple peels in them.
- When using a double boiler, place a jar lid in the bottom. When your water gets too low the lid will rattle!
Works For Me Wednesday hosted by Kristen at We Are That Family. This week was bathroom and kitchen tips so if you have any, head over and link up or just stop by and pick up a few!!